Tuesday, January 31, 2012

One Thousand Gifts

So....it's been a while since my last blog post. Summer got crazy with Impact...and then the year got SUPER crazy. I have some recent thoughts.

I've been reading a book by Ann Voskamp entitled "One Thousand Gifts." It's her journey to slow down, breathe, and pay attention to the various objects of grace in her life. She makes a list of a thousand things that she is thankful for(and then continues as she sees 1000 wasn't enough), but being attentive during the day(by God's grace) to God's evident love through the life that He has given, forces her to refocus on what is important. When she really sees how blessed she is, the various trials and stresses are dwarfed. In the light of God's power, what can Satan accomplish? The answer, praise the Lord, is nothing.

She also inspired me, in her awareness of all things grace, to stop filling my life with things not of Christ. It's so easy in the stresses of day to want an escape, a rest, so we go to murder crimes, fashion competition shows, and bourgeois housewife shows, hoping to block out worry and the Spirit convicting us. But are we benefiting ourselves in any way? Are we giving ourselves any more hope or encouragement or truth? Negative, ghostrider. So I started a fast from movies, books, TV(unless it's with a friend for bonding) unless it has a Christ-driven message. I would never say that anybody who doesn't do this is sinning. Culture definitely has its place in our lives, but it was a STRUGGLE for me. I was running to media instead of Christ. But I WILL say that the benefit in removing the death and putting in life has been one of the most astounding and yet unsurprising phenomena I've ever witnessed. Doesn't it make sense, though? Psalm 19 describes the LIFE that the Word brings far better than I ever could.

The law of the Lord is perfect,

reviving the soul;

the testimony of the Lord is sure,

making wise the simple;

the precepts of the Lord are right,

rejoicing the heart;

the commandment of the Lord is pure,

enlightening the eyes;

the fear of the Lord is clean,

enduring forever;

the rules of the Lord are true,

and righteous altogether.

More to be desired are they than gold,

even much fine gold;

sweeter also than honey

and drippings of the honeycomb.

Moreover, by them is your servant warned;

in keeping them there is great reward.


So I'm endeavoring to walk in Miss Voskamp's footsteps starting here. I pray that the Lord gives me a more emphatically thankful spirit daily. I'm already seeing that it's ridiculous.....RIDICULOUS how many things I have to be thankful for. Before I start my list, I also wanted to share one other thing that the Lord has been teaching me.

Imperfections. We all have them. I feel like they rear their ugly head in me day by day, minute by minute. Pride wars within my head, revealing itself in comparisons to other people, in feelings of entitlement, and futilely trying to find fulfillment in things that will never compare to the fullness from knowing and sitting at the feet of Christ. One of my struggles is an irreverent sense of humor. I have very little filter, and it rarely comes to the point of offense to someone. But there are jokes that are little monsters...evil little red demons that seem to fight their way out of your mouth while you desperately try to stuff them back in. As they break free, you ask yourself, "Is this really a good idea or does it just SEEM like a good idea?" I seem to be the mother of these little monsters.

I've been convicted about it for a long time, but I always kind of assumed that Jesus would eventually sanctify that part of my character since I had tried and failed so many times. But I realized I rarely pray for God to continue His sanctification. I pray thanks, I pray for forgiveness, but it's rare that I BEG for Him to fix the leaks before they turn into floods that require damage control. I'm looking forward to beginning this new(shamefully so) practice. :)

So here begins the eucharisteo(Greek for "give thanks") list. I pray the Lord speaks something into your life as He has in mine.

1. Tears streaming from laughter.
2. Twins playing ninja and jumping on your head, turning a bike horn into a "supersonic weapon."
3. Girls night with Mean Girls and nail polish.
4. The sound of rain on the roof.
5. Sunshine breaking through clouds like in the beginning scene of Lion King.



That's all for now! This blog post has been quite long enough already!

Grace and Peace,

Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment