Saturday, July 21, 2012

Hell in a Handbasket

Anxiety. Depression. Global warming. Floods. Fires. Tragic shootings. Words of hatred. Sex slavery. Children starving. Disease. Economies tanking. Suicide. Eating disorders.......The rich seem to get richer and the poor seem to get poorer. The economy is struggling; debt is rampant ;oil prices rise along with the global temperature and ocean levels. Looking at headlines, even with the hope of Christ, I find myself fighting a sense of panic and fear. Especially as a recent college grad in a job market that has been hailed as the worst in ages with a little bit of debt for my car, I feel like a victim of my circumstances. But THAT is the point. All of these hardships, these trials, no matter WHAT it is, is a circumstance. I've been through a fair amount of tragedy and hardship in my life(I'll spare you the details), but not nearly as much as others. But truth remains truth despite of the situation to which it is being applied. When you're overwhelmed by world problems, it's hard to take the perspective that Christ is in control and has promised good for His people....and don't get me started on how I have NO idea how those that don't believe Christ is real and good get through life(grace of God obviously, but SHEESH). But He IS real...and good. I urge you to read the following Scriptures and listen to the hope held within for a future.


Romans 8:8-30
Hebrews 11





The fact that we were created for another reality does not exempt us from doing good on this Earth. The Lord's prayer in Matthew 6:9-13 pleads for God's kingdom to come and His will to be done on EARTH as it is in Heaven. We are a part of His will--not only through prayer but also by our actions. We have been commissioned not only to do good, to act responsibly and lovingly toward others but also to spread the message of hope and grace and love with which we have been entrusted. Physical relief is GOOD, but temporal. It's the eternal spiritual well-being of others that is to be our priority after our own relationships with Christ being nurtured. 


I don't claim to be a major source of wisdom or queen of blogdom....I just needed a mental release and to remind myself of simple truths that are easy to forget. 


Grace and Peace






No comments:

Post a Comment