Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Little Boy Sam

This is going to probably sound pretty trivial to most...if not all.... of you reading this, but it absolutely made my day. Background. I'm working at the big bad Starbucks for the summer before I move to Austin... I've been there coming up on two months, and it's been an extremely interesting experience. It's been a fascinating immersion into the "worldly" culture coming off of the high that was the Texas A&M "Christian Bubble" culture. I was guilty myself of bashing this aforesaid culture--and there are still things that I question, namely the tendency toward being poured into and not seeking opportunity to pour back out, to share truth and love....I digress. So it's been good--I've had some remarkable opportunities to grow and learn in my ability to relate to those that don't necessarily have the same views as I do and quite frankly live completely different lives than I do. It's been hard in the sense that I didn't have solid Christian community surrounding me or at the dial of a phone 24/7 and just PHYSICALLY being on your feet all day running around...goodness. I have a new-found 1) respect for those in the service industry 2)thankfulness for my college education 3)thankfulnes that I've been able to experience Christian community.

Anyway, then there are the customers. The few and far between will make legitimate eye contact, answer your question of how they are genuinely and return the question with a true concern about the answer. About as many will find SOMETHING to complain about(obnoxiously and rudely) and just SEEM to be out to just ruin your day. I've come to feel sorry for this customer...they obviously lack a peace and a strength that I am blessed to have, and if they have the mindset that it's OK to treat people that poorly, they have to be lacking in positive human interaction in their lives. And those in between kind of robot on through(that's not fair--R2D2 had far more personality than these guys)...they're wrapped up in their own lives they barely even look at you on their way through. I don't get it. 

In the midst of this little bit of monotony, the subject of this post, a boy named Sam. Maybe 9, max 10 with shorts and t-shirt, blue eyes, with glasses and freckles, he came in alone. He spent a while peering into the pastry case, considering the endless possibilities of sugar infusion. He finally approached the counter with wide-ish eyes and wad of cash and coins in hand. He smiles and requests the marble pound cake and as I reach over to the case visually throws the breaks on with a ",No no no no no! Wait! Lemon!" and then a little embarrassed at his outburst squeaks out an abashed, "Please?" I laugh and get him his piece of lemon, and he orders a grande caramel frappuccino(so much sugar...and caffeine, his poor parents). He hands over the cash with enthused thanks and walks away from the counter. I make his frapp and go to pass it off at the bar. I catch a glimpse of him curled up in one of the chairs and has this...just BLISSFUL look on his face as he devours his lemon pound cake. I call out, "Sam!....." and watch as he jumps as he is jerked away from his little bubble of paradise. He comes and gets the frappuccino and offers his gratitude with great thanks again. Little Sam made my day for this reason-- he was thankful, yes, and adorable, but it was his unhardened innocence, his engagement with the world around him and the apparent lack of bitterness with the world that I see in so many adults. It brought me hope for a future when peace and joy will be ours in abundance. It challenged me to be more childlike, to soften up and keep loving people regardless of what consideration they show me, and to soak up the little things like a kid. I sent up a little prayer for Sam, that whatever his story has been or will be, that he will never become hardened...that he will learn truth and be transformed by my Savior. Big prayer, but I have a big God that cares for Sam. No wonder Jesus loved the children and told us to be like them. My prayer is the same for you as it is for myself, my friends. Embrace the child in you. :)


Grace and Peace, 

KP


No comments:

Post a Comment